honda forums   honda forums

Go Back   Honda Forum > Honda Forums (Cars) > Honda Clarity Forum

Notices

Honda Forum: New Owner white PHEV Clarity

Old 06-18-2018, 08:18 PM

Default New Owner white PHEV Clarity

Well I've had Watson for about a month now and he's 'Interesting'. I call him Watson because of all of the computers and technology required for his operation in all modes.

Extremely efficient

Very comfortable

Plenty of room & visibility

Most things I would order, came standard

The majority of parking lot comments have been very favorable

Having spent 20 years of my adult life in the retail car business here in the Atlanta market, I've owned north of 200 cars that I can remember (I have a yellow legal pad I keep adding to as I remember one. As the majority were used cars I purchased for resale, some I had for only a day or so while others I had for weeks to months while restoring, repairing, or just enjoying.)

While good sense re: resale value was primary motive on most, some were just for the desire to own and drive.

And now there's Watson. I 'obviously' didn't buy him for raw acceleration or high speed (100mph + runs on the highway). I just saw the electric car market starting to accelerate and with some research chose the Clarity to start my PHEV journey. Main reason is the ability to keep going while keeping the 'drive' battery bank charged to 50% or so.

Mine is the Platinum White Touring model with beige leather and just the nice 'formed rubber' mats they threw in.

I have about 1300 miles on him now and can't find any serious faults. I may have to return for a look though at the w/s wiper washer function as only a trickle of water comes out.

At around 300 miles I picked up a nail that nestled to near the outside edge of the right front tire to patch or plug. The local dealer treated me right by selling a new same model Michelin for $200 w/tax & mounting. Can't blame anything but bad luck on that issue.

The majority of my driving is 2-6 mile runs and return. I charge him every evening in the garage so gas use has been very limited. We made a run to Athens GA a couple of weeks ago just for a shake down run. Total miles round trip was about 175 with about 50% of the trip on the highway with cruise set at speed limit 65mph. I drove in the HV mode and left with the battery gauge and gas gauge both on full. Shortly before getting back home I filled it up again. It took less than two gallons and the battery gauge was about 2/3rd's when I pulled into the garage. Big smile .

One thing I wish the factory would make standard is a darker tint on the back glass and back side glass. I'm going to get some tint there I think. Also for some reason, many manufacturers are no longer adding the dark tint to the top of the w/s. This model is one of those and there is no option for having it. I can't do anything about that but mention it .

I'll keep this one until Honda makes a PHEV Suv and then maybe trade again. So far loving it though. I found a dealer I had known many years ago and secured a nice $2500 discount plus the optional mats thrown in. The local dealer had a $3000 market adjustment sticker on the window. Good luck with that but there are fools everywhere.

BTW, ordered manuals 2nd day of ownership. Still have not come. Reading this Honda ???

Last edited by Cruiter; 06-18-2018 at 09:03 PM.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiter View Post
Well I've had Watson for about a month now and he's 'Interesting'. I call him Watson because of all of the computers and technology required for his operation in all modes.

Extremely efficient

Very comfortable

Plenty of room & visibility

Most things I would order, came standard

The majority of parking lot comments have been very favorable

Having spent 20 years of my adult life in the retail car business here in the Atlanta market, I've owned north of 200 cars that I can remember (I have a yellow legal pad I keep adding to as I remember one. As the majority were used cars I purchased for resale, some I had for only a day or so while others I had for weeks to months while restoring, repairing, or just enjoying.)

While good sense re: resale value was primary motive on most, some were just for the desire to own and drive.

And now there's Watson. I 'obviously' didn't buy him for raw acceleration or high speed (100mph + runs on the highway). I just saw the electric car market starting to accelerate and with some research chose the Clarity to start my PHEV journey. Main reason is the ability to keep going while keeping the 'drive' battery bank charged to 50% or so.

Mine is the Platinum White Touring model with beige leather and just the nice 'formed rubber' mats they threw in.

I have about 1300 miles on him now and can't find any serious faults. I may have to return for a look though at the w/s wiper washer function as only a trickle of water comes out.

At around 300 miles I picked up a nail that nestled to near the outside edge of the right front tire to patch or plug. The local dealer treated me right by selling a new same model Michelin for $200 w/tax & mounting. Can't blame anything but bad luck on that issue.

The majority of my driving is 2-6 mile runs and return. I charge him every evening in the garage so gas use has been very limited. We made a run to Athens GA a couple of weeks ago just for a shake down run. Total miles round trip was about 175 with about 50% of the trip on the highway with cruise set at speed limit 65mph. I drove in the HV mode and left with the battery gauge and gas gauge both on full. Shortly before getting back home I filled it up again. It took less than two gallons and the battery gauge was about 2/3rd's when I pulled into the garage. Big smile .

One thing I wish the factory would make standard is a darker tint on the back glass and back side glass. I'm going to get some tint there I think. Also for some reason, many manufacturers are no longer adding the dark tint to the top of the w/s. This model is one of those and there is no option for having it. I can't do anything about that but mention it .

I'll keep this one until Honda makes a PHEV Suv and then maybe trade again. So far loving it though. I found a dealer I had known many years ago and secured a nice $2500 discount plus the optional mats thrown in. The local dealer had a $3000 market adjustment sticker on the window. Good luck with that but there are fools everywhere.

BTW, ordered manuals 2nd day of ownership. Still have not come. Reading this Honda ???
Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up. What did the Clarity replace for you? Also, what is the "ride" like? Mainly soft of firm?

Get your next Honda for the lowest price possible! Go to TrueCar.com first!
Old 06-19-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Forum View Post
Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up. What did the Clarity replace for you? Also, what is the "ride" like? Mainly soft of firm?
The ride is much like driving the Lexus LS. Great road manners for a car that weighs in like this one does (yes, even with aluminum front doors, hood, & trunk, it is very heavy) it corners and stops very well w/o the rolling and dipping you might expect. Can you imagine smooth ride along with firm handling??? As a plug-in hybrid 'PHEV', it is a different car but once you get used to it, it's easy to love.

One easy thing to get used to is not making special stops to buy gas. I've topped it off three times now but only because I was trying to see if I should believe the gas gauge LOL. Two of the stops I put in 2 and 2.4 gallons and one stop (when the gauge was showing 1/2 tank), I put in 3.4 gallons. It only holds 7 so I guess the gauge is accurate.

I get more comments at the grocery store etc., then I thought I would. All people with a good comment and genuine interest (from all the tv adds).

The w/s and front door windows have the new 'sound insulated' glass and it works very well. This car is dangerous quite; shh .

I gave up my Lexus RC350 FSport. A good looking fun car but more of a gas pig than my 2014 C7 Z51 'Vette coupe was with 460 hp.

I miss some features I truly think Honda should add. Not deal breakers but features you get used to and want to keep such as; rear cross alert, blind spot warning in the rear view mirrors, and of course a sun roof (how much weight could that add ???). Oh, and turn signal indicators built into the mirrors for other drivers to see. Even if the base price went up to cover them, it would still have a good price point in today's market.

It's a really great car!!!

Oh, even the tires are premium series Michelin's with a '540' tread wear rating.

I'm still waiting to see if I got it in time to take the tax $7500 deduction. I'm hearing both sides so undetermined at this time. My CPA can research it at the end of the year.

To drive in the HOV/Fast lane I would have had to get a special tag for $60 bucks. Worth it if I drove in them a lot but chose to keep my Retired US Navy tag (free in GA).

No photos yet, needs a bath!
Jim M